Monday, March 9, 2009

Pictures and words

Below are memories and condolences that were posted on the obituary site. More will be included as they are posted.

Also, there are pictures that span Henry's life that you can view at
http://picasaweb.google.com/dennis.guikema/DadPictures



March 17, 2009
Dear Guikema Family,

I met Henry when he started at Miller, Johnson. I'm so happy that we renewed our friendship when I found out that he had cancer.

Being a part of his journey was one of the best things that has happened to me in a long time. What a joy and blessing to have spent time with his son Josh and see the Henry in him.

May we all remember Henry with a smile on our face.

Sincerely,
Judy Kail (Grand Rapids, MI)


March 10, 2009
Dear Guikema Family,
We are still in FL and were not able to attend Henry's visitation. We want to express our sympathy to your family. We have fond memories of Henry, having fun at Gun Lake as kids - our families were best friends!
Love,
Ralph & Carol Brunsting (Hudsonville, MI)



Dear Tom,
I was so sorry to learn of the loss of your dad. Please know that my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Although, I did not know him personally, I truly feel that I have an idea of how terrific he was . . . just by knowing you! May your faith and cherished memories provide comfort and peace to you and your family.


Barbara Bush (Grand Rapids, MI)



March 9, 2009

Tom:
Rich and I send our condolences to you and your family. After reading others' descriptions of him, we can appreciate what he passed onto his children... and you're passing onto yours. We'll have to discuss a common thread in our families' history's when we see you next. Take care...


Rich and Sue Miller (Ada, MI)



March 9, 2009

Aunt Harriet, Judy and Jim, and Jim and Sue and all my second cousins: We would like to express our deepest sympathy to you on the loss of Hank. Even tho I was the youngest of the cousins and closer in age to my second cousins I have very fond memories of our holiday times spent together. We were out of town this past weekend and unable to attend the visitation or funeral. Please know that you all have been in our thoughts and prayers.

Linda (Postma) and Jim Allen


Linda Allen (Holland, MI)



March 9, 2009

Tom- My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Reading through the comments of others, he sounds like someone I wish I had known. I hope you get to have some time with family and friends and not rush back!


Pamela Ashley (Holland, MI)



March 9, 2009

Henry was a senior associate at Miller Johnson when I joined the Firm in 1975, and he made partner shortly thereafter. He was an early mentor to me, and for many years later was a friend with whom I enjoyed tipping a few at the Pen Club while bouncing around ideas on cases we were involved with. May you, his family, be comforted in this time of sorrow. He was a smart, creative lawyer, but most of all a prince of a guy. Rest in peace, HLG.


Brent Rector (Grand Rapids, MI)



March 8, 2009

You are in our thoughts and prayers.
God be with you.


Wendy Everin-Tingley (Wixom, MI)



March 8, 2009

To: Harriet, Denny, Tom, Sue, Josh, Amanda, step children, brother Jim, and sister Judy. I wish to express my heart felt sympathy in yet another loss in your own lives. May your burden's lighten a little each day, and may you find peace. Hold on to all the "good" memories, and give a little smile when you remember all of Henry's terrific humor. Love...never fades, but this pain will in God's time and your time. " May God shine his face upon you, and give you peace".


Joni Owen (Miami Lakes, FL)



March 6, 2009

To Henry's children: You have my deepest sympathy on the loss of your father. I worked with Henry when my late boss and brother-in-law, Dan Murray, and he were partners. Henry was always so kind and polite to me and I know Dan respected him as an attorney and friend. He offered my children and I use of his cottage for a week a couple of years and we all have wonderful memories of the fun we had. I appreciated it very much because vacations for a single mom with three kids in those years just weren't in the cards. He was always fun to talk to whether on the street or on the phone and always helpful to me when I had a question about a case or Court procedure. When Dan became ill last year, Henry helped Dan with several of his cases by going to Court for him. He was willing to do anything to help him. When Dan passed away, Henry called and said he would help in any way he could and he did take over many of his cases. He gave me advice on what to do and who to call on others. I am very grateful for all of his help. I just wanted you to know what a kind and thoughtful man your father was. We will all miss him.


Sandy Beurkens (Grand Rapids, MI)



March 6, 2009

I wanted to send my condolences on the loss of Mr. Guikema. Your family may not know me. My mom, Sandy Beurkens, worked for Mr. Guikema when he worked with my Uncle, Dan Murray. We didn't have much back then, but Mr. Guikema let us use his family's cottage on lake michigan free of charge for one week during summer, something we never would have been able to do otherwise. I look back on those trips with such fond memories and am grateful for the opportunity Mr. Guikema gave my family. I just wanted you to know how much this still means to me. It's comforting to know Uncle Dan has a pal in heaven now.
Take Care,
Karen Ganzevoort


Karen Ganzevoort (Grand Rapids, MI)



March 6, 2009

To the family of Henry Guikema:
Because of recent surgery I will unable to attend Henry's services.
Nevertheless, I do want you to know I am very deeply saddened by his loss. As a fellow member of the Bar, Henry became not only a colleague but a very good friend over these many years. He was first rate in every regard and I will miss him. You should be very proud of the memories he has left with all of us.


george pawlowski (Belmont, MI)

March 6, 2009

Aunt Harriet, Judy, Jim, and family: Pat and I extend to you our deepest sympathy in the passing of Hank. He just a little older than me and I always looked forward to the weeks that we spent in Michigan playing together. Those were fun times and as we grew older we had a good time when ever we got together. We will all miss him. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you in these difficult times.


Chuck Postma (Port Clinton, OH)



March 6, 2009

Tom,
I am so sorry to hear about your Father. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this great loss!
Heather Gauck (resource teacher)


Heather Gauck (Jenison, MI)



March 6, 2009

Tom, I was very sorry to hear about the lost of your father. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Always remember that, our loved ones will always be in our heart. With warmest regards, Angie Turner


Angenetta Turner (Grand Rapids, MI)



March 6, 2009

Dear Tom,
I was so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. My prayers are for you and your family.
Sincerely,


Barb Blauw (Holland, MI)



March 6, 2009

Dear Tom and Family,
I was so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Please know that i am holding you and your family in my daily prayers. May God provide all that you need at this time.
In His Care,
Martie Larson
GRPS


Martie Larson (Grand Rapdis, MI)



March 6, 2009

My thoughts and prayers are with you in your time of grief. May your memories bring you comfort.


Troy St. P.



March 6, 2009

Dennis & Trish - We are thinking of you during this difficult time and praying for both of you, and your family Dennis. Trish - thank you for sharing with us the picture of Henry, what a wonderful memory you have to hold on to of your father-in-law-to-be. Love, Kellie & Jon Nickovich


Kellie Nickovich (Birmingham, MI)



March 5, 2009

Guikema Family...We are so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, grandpa, son & brother. It is so hard to lose someone special. We are praying for you and your family. I too remember playing with my cousins on 28th Street...Precious Memories..Oh How Sweet"
Barb (VanEk) Harkema (cousin)


Barb & Cec Harkema (Grand Rapids, MI)



March 5, 2009

To Henry's Dear Family,

He was one of the best friends I ever had - so loyal and kind. He was one of my first bosses at Miller Johnson over 40 years ago. I will miss him more than words can say. He was a blessing in my life, and I will treasure the memories. Love and deepest sympathy.

Peggy Idema


Peggy Idema (Lowell, MI)



March 5, 2009

Den, Tom, Sue, Josh, and Amanda,
I want to let you know how special your dad was to me and my family. We loved him very much. My thoughts are with you.

Lorene Senti


Lorene Senti (MI)


March 5, 2009

Dear Harriet -
Jim and I are so sorry for the loss of
your son Henry. May you feel God's comfort during these days.
I am in Midland, MI right now - hope to see you in FL.
Kay Bliss-Kloostra


Kay Kloostra (Palmetto, FL)



March 5, 2009

To the Guikema Family,

Henry always had a smile and a great story to share. His laugh and great memories will be with me always.
With deepest sympathies,
Phil and Hallie Corning


Hallie Corning (Lansing, MI)



March 5, 2009

I want to express my sincere sympathy to the entire Guikema family. I am the pastor who performed the marriage ceremony for Tom and Janel. Please know that my loving thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. May God's Spirit bring you strength and hope and peace.


Rev. Ed Perkins (Grand Rapids, MI)



March 5, 2009

Dear Guikema Family,
I am so sorry for your loss of such a great person. I have had the honor or working with your Dad since 2004 and I can not say enough about him. My sympathy and prayers go out to all of you


Chuck Ardingo (Seattle, WA)



March 5, 2009

Dear Friends and Family of Hank,

Seeing the photos, especially on Lafayette St. brought back some really good memories of my childhood growing up with Tom and Denny and finally "little Susan" when she came along. I remember what a fun dad he was with them, and how he was always smiling! My thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this difficult time.


Brandon Hultink (Battle Creek, MI)



March 5, 2009

Aunt Harriet, Judy, Jim and family: Paul and I extend to you our deepest sympathy in the passing of Hank. My fondest memories go back to our childhood when we would come from Wisconsin for vacation and would play at your house on 28th St. Hank was just the greatest cousin, and I know that you will all miss him dearly. But our comfort as Christians is that we have a better place to go to. So we take peace in that. May the wonderful memories of Hank carry you through those days that seem so dark. You are in our thoughts and prayers.


Lee Triesenberg (Macon, GA)



March 5, 2009

To Henry's Family,
I have the utmost respect for Henry.
He believed in me when many did not. Although I haven't seen Henry in many years he is often in my thoughts.
My family and I are thinking of you all as you go through this rough time in your lives.
Thanks Henry you were a great man.
Dale Mutch and Family


Dale Mutch (Portage, MI)



March 5, 2009

Dear Family, We are so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing--he was a good man, and so kind taking over some of Dan's cases after Dan's sudden death last year. We shall always remember how they enjoyed each others company--We know your strong faith will get you through this difficult time.
With deepest sympathies, Pam Murray, Leigh & Mike


Pamela Murray (Grand Rapids, MI)



March 5, 2009

Our hearts go out to you at this time and in the days ahead.


Farr Oosterhouse & Krissoff (Grand Rapids, MI)



March 5, 2009



Fred Richter (Manistee, MI)

March 5, 2009

Dear Guikema Family,
It has been many years since the Visser family lived accross the road from the Guikema family in Grandville on 28th Street. But, I still remember the family very well. My family moved to California and I ended up here in Florida. My folks have passed away, but the children of Ben and Erma Visser send out sympathy to a great neighbor.


David Visser (Naples, FL)

No comments:

Post a Comment